Some residents of SCSH received a notice from the Valley Sanitary District (VSD) regarding a proposed increase in sewer rates. It is important to get information about the rate increase by visiting the website or attending the public hearing on May 23, 2023. You can submit a written protest by mail or deliver it in person at or before the public hearing. If adopted, the new rates will be effective 07/01/23, and increases will be automatically applied each July 1 through 2027.
VSD’s Justification for a Rate Increase:
- Sewage service rates are reviewed at least once every five years.
- Costs include collecting, treating, reusing, and discharging wastewater.
- Consideration of future plans for improving infrastructure to meet regulatory and permit requirements.
Formula for Determining Rates:
- Wastewater rates include fixed and volumetric charges.
- Single-Family units are charged based on equivalent dwelling units.
- Volumetric charges are based on the average winter water consumption.
- That volume is multiplied by the volumetric rate for a single-family unit.
Proposed Annual Rates for Single-Family Residential Homes:
- 2023/24 - $591.82
- 2024/25 - $798.96
- 2025/26 - $1,078.60
- 2026/27 - $1,294.32
- 2027/28 - $1,488.47
How to Proceed:
- If you did not receive a mailer about the proposed rate increases, check your property tax bill to see if VSD is your provider.
- The property owner or tenant can submit a written protest on the proposed rate increases by regular mail or in person before or at the hearing.
- Protests must contain a description of the property (parcel #); state if you are the owner or renter; the property owner’s or renter’s signature is required.
- VSD must receive the written protest at or before the public hearing.
- The public hearing is on May 23, 2023, at 1:00 pm.
- The location for the hearing is the Valley Sanitary District office: 45-500 Van Buren Street, Indio, CA 92201.
- After the hearing, if the number of protests is a majority, VSD will NOT adopt proposed rate increases.
Since not all SCSH residents received a flyer from VSD regarding the proposed rate increases, not all phases may be included. Check the VSD website, www.valley-sanitary.org/about/pages/district-service-area, or call 760-238-5400 for further information. Remember that you have the power to file a protest regarding the proposed rate increases, so get involved and don’t waste money on wastewater!