When going on a moderate day hike, it is important to bring the following supplies:
- Water: Bring at least 1 liter of water per person for a moderate hike. Staying hydrated is crucial for maintaining energy and preventing heat-related illnesses.
- Food: Pack snacks such as energy bars or trail mix to keep your energy levels up during the hike.
- Sun protection: Wear sunscreen, bring a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
- First aid kit: Include basic first aid supplies such as band-aids, gauze, and ibuprofen in case of minor injuries.
- Navigation: Bring a map and a compass and know how to use them. A GPS device or a phone with GPS can also be useful as a backup.
- Emergency whistle, flashlight, and a portable power bank to charge it in an emergency.
- Extra clothing: Bring an extra layer of clothing in case the weather changes, or you get wet.
- Proper footwear: wear sturdy hiking boots or shoes with good support and grip for the terrain.
- Insect repellent: To avoid bites from bugs and insects.
- Trash bags: Bring a small trash bag to pack out any trash you generate during the hike.
By being prepared, you can make the most of your hike and be better prepared to handle unexpected situations.