City of Indio offers seniors an exemption to Utility User Tax (UTT)

There really are some advantages to senior living!

UUT’s are taxes cities apply to homeowners and businesses for utility use. You pay these fees through your utility company monthly. At least 50% of California cities have this tax. On November 2, 2010 voters passed Measure S, increasing the City of Indio UUT from 3% to 6%. The increase was needed to offset state budget cuts and limit cuts to police officers, firefighters, paramedic and ambulance response, pothole maintenance/street repairs, graffiti removal youth anti-gang/anti-drug programs, senior services, parks and other general City services. The UUT is a vital element in the funding of critical city services. On average, the UUT provides 15 percent of general-purpose revenue in cities that levy it. This tax goes directly to the City of Indio.

The City of Indio offers an exemption to “utility user taxes”. Carefully follow the instructions below to apply for your exemption. It will take a while as the city verifies the information you submit. NOTE: You will have to re-apply for this exemption every two years.


All City of Indio residents and businesses are assessed a Utility Users Tax on amounts paid for water, telephone, cable, gas and electric service.

You may qualify for an exemption of the Utility Users Tax if you meet the following criteria:

  1. The utility bill is in your name, and you pay the bill directly to the utility company, and
  2. You live within Indio city limits, and
  3. You are age 62 or older and file as head of household, or
  4. You are a recipient of the Social Security Administration’s Supplemental Security Income Program for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled.

Requests for exemptions are accepted at the City of Indio Finance Department located at 100 Civic Center Mall (Located directly across from the Indio Library), and the Indio Senior Center located at 45700 Aladdin St.

To process your request in a timely manner, please bring in the following:

  1. Completed Application, click here to download and
  2. Proof of age (Driver’s License, State ID, or Birth Certificate), or
  3. Certification from SSI, and
  4. Copies of the most recent utility bill from each of the following utility companies that service your residence: Water, Gas, Electricity, Cable TV, Telephone, Cell Phone

Please keep in mind that each utility company has their own billing cycles and that it can take up to 60 days for your exemption form to be processed.