Today, VA Secretary David Shulkin joined President Donald Trump in the Oval Office for the President’s signing of a proclamation establishing November as Veterans and Military Families Month.
This is the first time that America will celebrate Veterans and Military Families for the entire month and not just on Veterans Day.
“Our Veterans and Military Families are an important part of our lives throughout the year, and by focusing for the first time nationally on a whole month of activities nationwide for Veterans and Military Families Month, we can more fully celebrate and recognize their contributions to the nation,” said Secretary Shulkin.
Today’s proclamation by the President is the first of many events nationwide. Also today, throughout the country VA medical centers (VAMCs) and Community Based Outpatient Centers will hold open houses.
Highlighted events for the Month include:
- Throughout the month:
- Senior leader visits to VA medical centers and regional offices;
- Homeless Veteran Initiative events;
- Surrogate Speeches;
- Churches/Synagogues recognize Veterans and their families;
- VA Canteen Specials
- Suicide Prevention Events
- November 1 – Proclamation signing by President Trump, VA Open Houses nationwide
- November 2 – Capitol Hill Veterans Awareness & Recognition Day
- November 4 (and several other days during the month) – Events held in coordination with Got Your Six where Veterans tell their stories of service
- November 5 – Philadelphia Veterans Parade and Festival
- November 6 –
- 50th Anniversary of Vietnam War & Medal of Honor Recognition;
- Secretary Shulkin address at the National Press Club;
- Hiring our Heroes Summit in Atlanta along with the Atlanta Falcons
- November 7 – Minnesota Vikings Visit Spinal Cord Injury Center – Minneapolis
- November 9 – National Veterans Stand Out Day – Veterans will wear something meaningful to them denoting their military service
- November 9 – National World War I Memorial Ground Breaking Ceremony -- Washington
- November 10 – Boston Parade / Marine Corps Birthday
- November 11 (Veterans Day) – Veterans Day Breakfast D.C. and Arlington National Cemetery Veterans Day Ceremony
- November 13-17 – Veteran Legal Clinic Week of Service (Pro Bono Legal Assistance for Veterans at VA medical centers)
- November 13-17 – National Apprenticeship Week
- November 13-17 – Suicide Prevention Week -- Preventing Veterans Suicide is Everyone’s Business
- November 15 – Groundbreaking Ceremony West LA Cemetery
- November 20-24 – Spend an Hour with a Vet Week
- November 20 – National Cemetery Administration Veteran Employee Day
- November 28 – 10th Anniversary of the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES)
- November 30 – VA names new cemetery in the San Francisco Bay Area