Audio may be found at: www.scshca.com/podcast286
Below is a synopsis of this episode.
1. HOA Board Meeting: a reminder that the next open Board meeting will be on Monday, June 28, 2021, at the Montecito Clubhouse.
2. Club and Committee Chairs: I am inviting the chairs of all clubs and advisory committees to participate in a podcast to talk about what's happening with their clubs. I've asked Vanessa to spearhead this and to take the names of those who are interested. There are a lot of new people in our community, as well as others currently in Canada or in other states, who want to plan their activities for when they return here so it's a good time to get your message out there. So just contact Vanessa in the HOA Office to set up a time to schedule a podcast.
3. Advisory Committees: there are openings on these committees so I encourage you to go to the HOA Office to complete an application form. After an initial interview, the chair will send your application to the Board to get you involved. The Finance Advisory Committee, for example, needs a couple of people and I would love to see a couple of ladies on that committee. If you are retired and have some financial background, please consider submitting an application.
4. Kathy Lindstrom, Chair of the Food and Beverage Advisory Committee, reporting on:
A) Menu items and theme nights as the Shadows Restaurant: some of the menu features include a great breakfast of a large pancake, one egg any style and bacon or sausage for just $4.50; on weekends we have Eggs Benedict, hash and eggs, biscuits and gravy, a smoked salmon platter, and cinnamon French toast.
When it's too hot to cook, we have wonderful salads such as our Special Shadows Salad for $12.95 with baby spinach tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette and topped with fresh strawberries, apricots, dried cranberries, candied pecans and goat cheese and a protein choice of turkey, chicken, shrimp or salmon. We also have a citrus shrimp and avocado salad, a Cobb salad, a chicken salad, and a stuffed tomato salad. And we have a ton of sandwiches.
B) Theme Nights: tonight is Pasta Night. Then on July 7th is our Shrimp Spectacular, July 14th is our Summer Salad Extravaganza where you will be able to taste all of our salads. July 21st and 28th will be Pasta Nights. But hold off on your reservations until Friday (June 25th) because we are meeting tomorrow with the Food and Beverage Advisory Committee to see how we can increase the seating for these special theme nights because we have been sold out. We may be having two seatings so we can have more people there for the fun and camaraderie.
C) Montecito Café Update: For those of you who are concerned about the closure of the Café, we are meeting tomorrow (July 24th) to discuss options to use the Montecito Café. We have been talking with residents and hearing their ideas. We will be making a presentation to the Board on this, so stay tuned for more information. We appreciate your patience. In the meantime, stop into the Shadows Restaurant for a pitcher of beer or of Margaritas. You can also bring your own wine -- the corkage fee has been dropped to $8.00.
5. Montecito Pool Opening Celebration: This will happen on Saturday, June 26th, with free hotdogs, chips and soft drinks. We are allowed seating for 86 and we're at least 75 over that, So we'll open the gym and the amphitheater area to provide more space for as many as we can. So please stop by to enjoy a hot dog and the music provided by our Board Vice-President Johnny Goodrum.
6. Memo from Safety Advisory Committee: The Board received a memo from the Safety Advisory Committee and voted in favor that all gates will be closed all day from now on going in and out. If you have questions or are concerned about this, the Safety Advisory Committee Chair Jeff Kirkpatrick will be making a presentation at the open Board Meeting on Monday, June 28th, so you will be able to ask questions at that time.
7. Fourth of July flags: Every year the veterans put out US flags at our gates and around our community for any US celebrations that involve the flag. This year there will be flags out for two days since the Fourth of July falls on a Sunday so the official holiday is Monday, the 5th. Our golf cart flag celebration will be on Sunday and the Veterans Club President Pete Anderson will be at the Montecito Clubhouse at 8:00 a.m. for those who want to decorate their carts with flags and to see you off for the golf cart parade. I'll be there with my dogs and flags on my cart, too, to join in the celebration.
If you would like to purchase a flag for your cart or your house, I have been given permission by Larry Smith who sells flags for the Veterans Committee to give out his name and address: 80620 Camino Santa Juliana. So you can just stop by Larry's house to purchase a flag.
8. New Security Director: Our new Security Director, Tuey Paiyarat, will be at the Montecito Pool Opening Celebration and at the June 28th Board Meeting, as well. We're very happy to have filled that position.
9. Jefferson Ponds and North Channel: I've asked Roland in the Troon golf office to take charge of cleaning up the first pond, so they area active as we speak cutting down the weeds and doing a general clean-up. The first pond isn't affected by the North Channel Project. They've also been working hard on the golf courses and doing a great job.
10. Pets in the heat: I want to finish as I always do in the summer with a reminder to keep your pets off the pavement. Put booties on them or carry them, whatever you have to do to make sure they're safe. Please don't let them put their paws on the pavement -- it's dangerous out there.