Audio may be found at: www.scshca.com/podcast288
Below is a synopsis of this episode.
First, I want to say thank you to all those who stop to give me feedback out in the community. I really appreciate it, especially the positive ones, but I also want to hear the negative ones and we'll try to fix those issues as we go along.
1. Shadows Restaurant - Applications for the Ad Hoc Sub Committee: This has been very important to this community for a very long time. We will be accepting applications from anyone who would like to have a say in the renovation of the restaurant this Wednesday, July 21st, in the Capistrano Room, Montecito Clubhouse, at 1:00 p.m. We're not saying the renovation is going through. We need to stop losing money, need to make it better, and market it better to the outside community. Interviews will be held the next day, July 22nd, starting at 9:30 a.m. in the La Jolla Room, Santa Rosa Clubhouse. You will receive more information at the 1:00 p.m. meeting on Wednesday.
Applications will be available online at the SCSH website (scshca.com/committeeinterest). You can fill it out and either give it to our Assistant GM Vanessa prior to the meeting or bring it with you to the meeting and give it to the Food and Beverage Committee Chairperson, Kathy Lindstrom. Kathy and other members of the Food and Beverage Committee will be present for both days.
Kathy has provided a Mission Statement to help define the purpose of the sub committee which reads:
The mission of the Ad Hoc Sub Committee to the SCSH Food and Beverage Committee is to:
- research and recommend a company to do a feasibility report and strategic plan for the development of a tangible operation of the food services for the community of Sun City Shadow Hills through the Shadows Restaurant;
- work with a hired team to determine if a new renovation will function and complement the expansion and renovation of the Shadows Restaurant;
- determine and document key operational elements for efficiency, quality, creativity and customer satisfaction.
The Ad Hoc Committee will be comprised of seven members: one from Food and Beverage, one from Facilities, one from Finance and four additional members. The level of qualifications will be high.
Personally, I'd like to see a lounge with a bar that faces out over the golf course , lake and driving range; an outdoor patio that overlooks all that as well and where we could have dinner with music out on the driving range and maybe some fire pits. We could expand the restaurant and maybe include a pizza oven. There are a lot of things we could do but it will all come down through the Ad Hoc Sub Committee.
2. Dog Parks: You all know I have two dogs and appreciate how important they are in our lives. The dog parks will continue to open at 7 a.m. (not earlier) and close at dusk which according to our Security Director is now about 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. So when Security shows up, please remember they're doing their job.
I'm amazed that I still see people walking their dogs on the asphalt. If you wouldn't walk barefoot on it, don't have your dog do it either. Please keep the dogs on the grass with this heat.
3. Fourth of July Celebration: It was so inspiring and a great feeling to see everybody out there having a good time. For those of you who missed it, I have to tell you it was really something to see all of those golf carts going down the boulevard in two lanes, with everybody honking and waving to their grandkids on the sidelines. And then to get back and have Pete Anderson handle the flag raising. Pete, you're a rock and an inspiration in this community and we really appreciate what you and the other veterans do for us. Hats off to you, my friend.
4. Upcoming Lifestyles Events: Connie and the Lifestyles Desk have been working so hard to prepare for this year. It usually takes a year of planning to make sure everything comes off just right so this year is a real challenge. We have a Halloween Spooktacular and Parade coming up and a Presidents Cup Charity Golf Tournament to benefit the Shadow Hills High School golf team. We'd love to raise $10,000 for that team. They practice their golf here at Sun City Shadow Hills.
This is a good time to look into some of the many clubs we have here at Shadow Hills. Even though many are dark over the summer, it's a good time to consider which ones might fit into your lifestyle. Check the View Magazine to see what clubs we have here. My wife and I went to Let's Meet and Eat last week and there wasn't a square inch empty on the dance floor. We had a great time!
5. Board Meeting on Monday, July 26th, at 2:00 p.m. We hope you can make it. Comment cards will be available to fill out if you wish to let us know who you are and what you would like to have addressed. We look forward to seeing you there. I'm excited that our new Fitness Director is going to be announced that day, too. I'm looking forward to what she's going to do for us.
6. Advisory Committee Members Needed: if you have some time and expertise in any of the advisory committee areas, they really need your help. This is a great way to get involved and give back to your community.
7. John's Original Board Candidate Statement: When I ran as a candidate, I wrote a statement that I got grief for from some and also some praise from others for being specific. I wrote, "I want to be a Board member for the good of the people of this community, not for myself. Plain and simple." I live that every day. I'm here for you. I give you my time and my expertise whenever I can. What I don't know I will find out. We have a great team here at Sun City Shadow Hills and I need you all to support them. They do everything in their power to make this a better place to live.
Thank you all for your time. I appreciate it and I'll see you out in the field.