As published in The View, November 2020:
It is hard to believe we have been part of a statewide lockdown for seven months. Who would have ever thought? I just want to say “thank you” to everyone for your focus, diligence, responsibility, and patience as we march through this part of life. Helping each other stay healthy has been an enormous task, and hopefully it will be over soon.
Let’s take a break from the ongoing issues of COVID-19 and congratulate some of our residents who make our lifestyle so wonderful for their terrific efforts and accomplishments.
It is a pleasure to announce the achievements of the Performing Arts Club.
Each year the Desert Theatre League sends judges to adjudicate live productions presented by theatre groups across the valley. On August 1, they announced the nominees for The Desert Star Awards.
We are thrilled this year to have received seven nominations for our fall production of the drama Other Desert Cities. Our talented troupe performed this play in our clubhouse last November and brought our residents to their feet in awe of the talent displayed by the SCSH Performing Arts Club members on stage. This was an intense drama that required the actors to portray a gamut of emotions. The nominees are:
- Outstanding Overall Production of a Drama: the whole team, led by Producer Bev Mirsky
- The Michael Cruickshank Award for Outstanding Director of a Drama: Darryl Jacobs
- Outstanding Leading Actress in a Drama: Jan Briggs and Donna Parrish
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama: Michael Goldman
- Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama: Eileen Heckel
- Outstanding Set Design: Marlys Costello
Normally, a dinner is held to honor all the nominees and announce the winners. Because of COVID-19, there will be no hosted dinner and presentation this season.
SCSH PAC also has members who audition and act in other theatrical performances in the valley. We have two additional members who have been nominated for their performances on “other stages.” These nominees are:
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Musical – Professional: Don Savage (Anything Goes, Desert Theatricals)
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy – Professional: Arnie Kleban (Rumors, Desert Theatreworks)
We are so proud of all our residents and members of the Performing Arts Club, whether they support our productions behind the scenes or on stage. The Club you to know that, “We appreciate all of our residents who come out season after season as part of our audience. We love to entertain you.”
Congratulations to everyone in the Club, and we all look forward to the day we once again can enjoy watching your talent.
Such stories only make clear, “It doesn’t get any better than this.” Thank you.
Contact the author at email@example.com.