- This event has passed.
LifeStream Blood Drive
April 18 @ 10:00 am
☞ Click Here to Make an Appointment
Facts & Statistics
- All LifeStream blood donations are used here in the Coachella Valley.
- One donation can help multiple patients. Following collection, red blood cells, plasma and platelets are separated, stored and distributed separately.
- Blood cannot be manufactured – it can only come from generous donors.
- Blood is composed of 3 main components: red cells, plasma and platelets.
- Most donated red blood cells must be used within 42 days of collection.
- Apheresis is a mode of collection that allows a donor to give only the specific blood component that is in need by patients, such as platelets.
- Platelets are especially in need by cancer patients and must be used within 5 days of collection. New donations are continuously in need.
- All blood types are needed to help patients; the need for type O negative is especially acute. Only 7% of U.S. residents have “universal” blood.
- 1 in 7 people entering the hospital will need a blood transfusion.
- Less than 10% of the population eligible to donate blood actually does so.
- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- 1 in 7 hospital patients needs blood.
- Blood makes up about 8% of the human body.
Importance Of Blood Donation
No one wants to be in the position of needing blood to maintain health, to battle disease, or to recover from injury; however, 1 in 4 of us, at some point in our life, will require a blood transfusion. Every 2 seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- A liver transplant recipient needs approx. 45 units of red blood cells, plasma and platelets.
- Heart surgery patients may need 7 units of red blood cells and platelets.
- A marrow transplant recipient needs up to 45 units of red blood cells and platelets.
- Trauma victims can need up to 50 units of red blood cells, and platelets and plasma.
- Sickle cell anemia patients need 2 – 10 units of red blood cells per treatment.