President’s Message: Bulk Cable Update

Kim Fuller

Good afternoon residents,

I have had more questions about the Bulk Cable contract process and what is the current status. I wish I had new information to report, but at this point there is little new information to give you regarding the Bulk Cable contract with either Spectrum or Frontier. We have listed our concerns which has been given to both companies.

The Board gave priority to negotiating with Spectrum first because Spectrum was selected by 77% to 23% over Frontier. It was also clear in the survey that 85% of residents want to do something. Once we contacted Spectrum and discussed the contract, it appeared to the Board this process could take some time given Spectrum’s comments in the meetings. It was Spectrum that felt this could take some time. We have asked Spectrum to respond to requests about changes in the agreement, but as of this date Spectrum has said they need more time. We have not heard anything about our requests in over two months. The current contract proposed by Spectrum was unanimously rejected by the Board.

We have been having discussion with Frontier on changes to their agreement and at this point Frontier has been more responsive. I can’t tell you how this will end up, but the Board is quite aware of the preference of Spectrum over Frontier but is leaving all options open in the best interest of the HOA.

It could be possible that if we don’t reach an agreement with Spectrum, but we do reach an agreement with Frontier, a ballot vote will go out for Frontier. At that point if residents don’t want to proceed with Frontier, they will be able to vote ‘no’ on the ballot for Frontier. This way if residents want Spectrum, and only Spectrum, and nothing else it will become clear.

Currently the Spectrum plan that has been proposed will cost about $45 per month for both TV and internet service. The equivalent plan from Frontier for both TV and internet service would cost about $90 to $110 per month. Both plans will save residents money, and the Board understands for TV and internet service the Spectrum plan would save more money than the Frontier plan. The Board also understands that the Frontier plan will affect fewer residents in a negative way because each resident could then pick the TV plan they prefer. This gives the Frontier plan more versatility over the Spectrum plan. The Board understands that most residents voted for Spectrum, but unless we can obtain an agreement that is acceptable to the HOA we will not be able to go forward with Spectrum. We are waiting on a response from Spectrum as to our concerns so we will have to wait and see.

Hopefully this clarifies how we are proceeding and that both companies have contract issues, so we are trying to work with both companies as quickly as possible to reach a positive conclusion. But we must wait for their response and that is something we cannot control.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Thank you,
Kim Fuller