Good Morning Residents:
The Board has been investigating the pros and cons of a Bulk Cable Contract for the HOA at the request of many residents. This is a negotiation with the Cable/Internet Companies to provide Internet and TV services for a period of five years and to reduce the amount our residents are paying for internet and TV services. The Board appointed a committee to investigate and gather information for the Board’s review. I want to thank that committee for all their work, and for any future work we might need. The Board is considering proposals from both Spectrum and Frontier. The Board will decide on the final program and which company if approved.
This information has been given to the Board and the Board will hold Town Hall meetings to explain the information, listen to comments, and answer questions. There will be four Town Hall Meetings:
- Thursday, June 20 at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday, June 20 at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, June 21 at 1:00 p.m.
- Friday, June 21 at 6:30 p.m.
All the meetings will be in the Main Ballroom in the Montecito Clubhouse. There will be a presentation about the different points of a bulk cable contract and how it would be implemented if the Board decided to move forward. There will also be time for anyone to make comments on such a contract. Please try and make one of the meetings so the Board can hear your questions and comments.
The Town Hall meetings will be Videotaped and will be posted on the Website, so please take some time to view those meetings. Many questions will be answered. After you view the videos, please let us know your comments or questions. The goal for the Board is to gather as much information as possible so the Board can make a responsible and informed decision on how to proceed. To this end we will need everyone’s comments, both pro and con to have a complete picture of the situation and how it affects the HOA.
We will be sending out a survey through the E-Blast system to find out your thoughts on having such a Cable contract. This survey is only available electronically so if you are not signed up on the E-blast system sign up on this link: www.scshca.com/emailsignup/. Only after information gathering and resident input is complete, will the Board decide on how or if we will move forward with a Bulk Cable Contract. It is estimated that the Board will not vote on this program until at least the August meeting. Be sure to give us your comments before that date.
Some of the basic points we now know about implementing such a program:
- Every homeowner must pay the bulk cable monthly fee, there are no opt out provisions from any company.
- There are no provisions for putting the basic services and monthly HOA fee on hold if you are gone for a period of time.
- The HOA would pay the monthly fees to the cable company and the homeowners will pay the HOA by increasing their monthly assessment.
- Services include TV with about 200 channels and Internet with download speed of 100 mbps. Upload speeds will vary depending on the company.
- One of the proposals will include HBO, Showtime, Golf, Tennis, PAC 12, and NFL Red Zone.
- The total cost for the services including taxes and fees is estimated at $43 to $50 per month.
- Land line phone is not included, but can be added for about $10 per month, billed directly to the homeowner.
- Program includes two Set Top Boxes (STB) with two HD DVR’s.
- Additional boxes and DVR’s may be added for additional cost, billed directly to the homeowner.
- The program will be decided by a Board vote, not a vote of the homeowners.
- By-law, Section 9.2.2 (a) (v), allows for a 5-year contract with a cable company.
As you can see there is much to consider. Please let us know your thoughts and comments, both for and against such a program. Hopefully at the August meeting the Board will vote to decide on an outcome. Let me know if you have any questions.